Theme: “Art from the Heart”
Submission Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 6pm•
GUIDELINES & ENTRY RULES
Open to all students* residing in The Bahamas within the following four age categories. There will be one winner from each category:
A. 8-9 years old
B. 10-12 years old
C. 13-15 years old
D. 16-18 years old.
Furniture Plus believes we all have the power to create something beautiful and meaningful. When kids are encouraged to express themselves and take risks in creating art, they develop a sense of innovation, imagination, confidence, and the ability to translate their greatest ideas and deepest feelings. Art is a powerful way to nurture this process and impart skills that carry through into adulthood. Furniture Plus and The Charity of Hope Foundation is committed to inspiring our children to seek, grow and discover their own voice and unique inner-greatness.
“Art from the Heart”
Create from the heart a beautiful picture of the place where you feel most at home, happy and free. This could be within the house you live, in your own bedroom, or at a friend’s home, or by Grandma’s house? Maybe, it’s outside in a garden, at the beach, or on a boat? In the family islands, or in the city, playing with animals, or on the court shooting hoops? Use your imagination to draw or paint that place where you feel connected to yourself and full of joy.
Participants are encouraged to use bold colors and strong lines. Artwork can be realistic or abstract. You may include people and animals in your artwork.
All entries must be received no later than 6:00 PM (EST) on Thursday, June 30, 2018. Entries submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
A panel of judges recognized for their work in the fine art environment will be assembled to view and select winners. All decisions are final. An announcement of winning contestants will be made after October 30th, 2018.
• A snapshot of the final artwork must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• An entry form with the artists name, age, school, title of artwork, and medium used must be filled out and sent along with the artwork.
• A short description of what the artwork is about, and contact information.
The actual artwork itself should ALSO be delivered to the Furniture Plus store at the Town Centre Mall (Nassau) addressed to: Kam Cheng and/or Dawn Forbes or at Madeira Croft (Grand Bahama) addressed to: Victoria Ferguson and/or Chantel Robinson, no later than 6:00 PM (EST) on Thursday, June 30, 2018. Each entry should have the participant’s name, age, school, title of artwork, medium used, and contact information written clearly in pencil on the back of the artwork. Please do not write this info on the artwork itself.
Employees and agents of the Company, its affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies and divisions, participating promotional partners, and their respective employees and immediate family members are not eligible to participate in the Contest and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriages(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
Art From The Heart prizes*:
- 1. Artwork showcased on Furniture Plus vehicles
- 2. $2,000 Gift card to Furniture Plus
- 3. Public exhibition of art work
- 4. FREE Art workshop at the National Art Gallery of the Bahamas (NAGB)
- 5. A kit of art supplies, and more!
Any of the following media may be used:
• Paint (watercolor, tempera, poster, or acrylic)
• Drawing materials (pens, pencils, colored pencils, markers, or crayons)
THESE ARE NOT ALLOWED:
NO charcoal, pastels, chalk, glitter, sand, paste-ons, attachments, stencils, tracing,
digital art. NO computer-generated graphics.
Any artwork that do not meet the following guidelines will be disqualified. Please follow directions closely.
• Paper size must be 21” x 9”. Paper can be collected at Furniture Plus, Town Centre Mall. Limit one per entry.
• Artwork must be created on a clean white sheet of art paper or copy paper.
• Paper must be un-ruled & unlined.
• Artwork must be horizontal or wide, not tall.
• Artwork must be done freehand by the applicant. It should be original, creative, and unassisted.
• NO firm or rigid backing
• Artwork should be submitted unframed.
• One piece of art per participant.
• Each participant must submit an application form.
• A snapshot of the final artwork must be emailed to email@example.com and the actual artwork itself should be delivered to the Furniture Plus store at the Town Centre Mall (Nassau) addressed to: Kam Cheng and/or Dawn Forbes or at Madeira Croft (Grand Bahama) addressed to: Victoria Ferguson and/or Chantel Robinson, no later than 6:00 PM (EST) on Tuesday, October 30, 2018• Artwork content MUST represent the artist’s own perception of the theme and its description provided above.
• Artwork will not be returned.
Any artwork that depicts copyrighted images will be rejected. For example, no artworks depicting brand logos, characters from television shows, movies, video games, or books will be accepted. All artworks must be original ideas and created entirely by the applicant.
The artwork is the property of the artist and the artist retains the sole copyright and all applicable rights. By entering the competition, however, artists and guardians do agree to grant usage of artwork to FURNITURE PLUS only for display, marketing and promotional purposes for the company. Reproduction of any and all artwork in all media, including print, social media, film, and/or video is assigned to FURNITURE PLUS as the organizer and sponsor of the competition and will be used as deemed appropriate to further the goals of the company and the competition. No reproductions for sale or sale of artwork will occur by FURNITURE PLUS.
Furniture Plus reserves the right to use or not use any artwork that has been submitted. The company further reserves the right to feature or not feature submitted artwork on their vehicles, in their advertising, or in their in-store promotions.
ABOUT PLUS ART & CULTURE (PAC)
Plus Arts & Culture (PAC) is a vibrant, community-based “arts & culture” appreciation program launched by Furniture Plus in Abaco, in 2010 and later spread throughout the Furniture Plus franchise to Nassau and Grand Bahama. PAC strives to build community and meaningful connections through art-inspired events that showcase the talent of local artists and artisans while celebrating the dynamic power of art and all forms of creative expression. PAC events create a platform for both aspiring and professional artists to share their work and passion while educating the public and igniting interest around all styles of art, and representations of our culture. For more information on collaborating or attending an upcoming PAC event, please contact us at 397-7587(Nassau) / 352-7587(GB) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE CHARITY OF HOPE FOUNDATION
The Charity of Hope Foundation (COHF) was launched in 2005 as the charity arm of Furniture Plus. This Non-Profit Organization exists to empower, uplift, and nurture marginalized children, women, and men while activating awareness, compassion and selfless action within communities. The organization prioritizes child-related causes and continues to be a “champion for children,” investing heavily in the advancement, development and protection of children, and other reputable charitable organizations that support the same goals. For over 13 years, COHF has been a regular benefactor of dozens of local charities committed to making a difference in The Bahamas. We are committed to creating strategic partnerships that support progress and build bridges of hope both locally and internationally, that we may, in turn, help to create a brighter future and better world for our children today.